Women vs. Wal-Mart

july 9, 2003

Check out this Fortune article on how Wal-Mart discriminates against women and also find out interesting facts about how Wal-Mart pays everyone in their operations. For instance, of all store managers 14.3% are women and they make an average of $89,300 per year. The other 85.7% are male store managers and they make an average of $105,700 per year. Of all cashiers, 92.5% of them are women and they make an average of $13,800 per year. The other 7.5% are male cashiers and they make an average of $14,500 per year. In 1996, "[i]Stephanie Odle found a W-2 form lying around in the Riverside, Calif., Sam's Club where she worked as an assistant manager. The W-2 belonged to a male assistant manager who turned out to be making $10,000 more a year than she was. She says she was told that her co-worker was paid more because he had 'a wife and kids to support.' When the single mother protested, she was asked to submit a personal household budget. She did and was granted a $40 a week raise. 'It was humiliating,' says Odle. And she was still making less than the male manager. Odle claims that she was eventually fired for speaking up.[/i]" Wal-Mart's CEO Lee Scott says, "[i]We all believe that Wal-Mart is a good place to work.[/i]" Uh huh, for men only.